President Reuven Rivlin has turned to the Israel Police over a number of death threats against him on his Facebook page Sunday, after he wrote a post condemning the arson attack on a Palestinian family in the village of Duma.
“I visited the Dawabash family in the hospital on Friday,” he stated, in the post on Friday. “I was ashamed. I was horrified by the power of hatred.”
“I was ashamed that in my country, which endured the murders of the Fogel family, Adele Biton, Eyal, Gilad, and Naftali, and Mohammed Abu-Khdeir, there are others who do not hesitate to set a house on fire and burn a baby alive, to increase hatred and terror,” he continued. “We must ask: what public atmosphere is this that allows extremism and extremists? […] Why is it that weeds threaten the safety of the entire flower bed?”
“To put out the flames, we must be firm and decisive, thorough and clear,” he concluded, urging action “through the education system and law enforcement.”
Several took ire with Rivlin’s post, with retorts ranging from simple name-calling to violence.
“I pray that there will rise another Yigal Amir, Shlita, who will clean the state from you and from Arabs – I wish you terrible diseases and every evil,” one poster threatened, referring to the man who shot and killed Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in 1995.
Other posters were less malignant in their criticism, but did note that they do not see Rivlin as representing them, and – in one case – had removed his photo from their home and advised their children not to emulate the President.
Zionist Union MK Tzipi Livni expressed full support for Rivlin after the threats began to surface.
“Incitement against the president, who sends a message of reconciliation, is intolerable and must be stopped,” Livni tweeted, adding that these words could “reap what they sow” and are “bad and dangerous.”
- PM: Fight Against Terror ‘A Matter of Humanity’
- Shaked: Jewish Terrorism Worse than Arab Terrorism
- Gaza Terrorists Fire Two Rockets at Israel
- Arson ‘Revenge’: Arabs Try to Burn Joseph’s Tomb
- Hamas Blames Abbas for Arson Attack
- Mass-Scale Violence in Judea-Samaria, Jerusalem
- State Dept. Condemns Attack on Arab Village
- PM Visits Palestinian Family Hit By Terror Attack
- Int. Security Min. Faces Stabbing, Arson Head-On
- Hamas: All Arabs, Attack ‘All Soldiers, Settlers’